13 September 2018Eaglesham McColls Post Office
Great news in response to the many requests/campaigning by everyone involved to get backa Post Office in Eaglesham.
As you know the community Council contacted McColls and the Post Office again recently to ask for an update about post office facilities in Eaglesham.
We received a phone call this morning from Jenny at McColls head office to confirm that McColls in Eaglesham will be opening in late November 2018.
11 September 2018Zebra crossings in Eaglesham
More positive updates from EWCC’s meeting with the head of roads in June.
Both Zebra crossings and adjacent road markings in Eaglesham have been revamped and newly painted - making them stand out much better.
10 September 2018Handrails at Brackenrig Crescent fitted
As requested by EWCC the new handrails have fitted at Brackenrig Crescent steps leading onto Glasgow Rd.
Also the damaged fence along the footpath on the main road have been fixed.
07 September 2018Eaglesham and Waterfoot Community FTTP (fibre to the premises)
As a community we have an opportunity to join together and take forward an ambitious plan to bring “Fibre to the Premises” to every household and business in the Community that wants to participate. At this point we are trying to establish what the demand would be.
If the response is good, we intend to lead the process for the community. Please read through the attached document. Hopefully it will provide most of the information you need to decide if you want to be part of this exciting plan.
Please return the form by 01/11/18 to Gordon Davidson, and we will ‘start the ball rolling’.
29 August 2018Handrail for Steps
Following local residents requests - EWCC met with ERC in June on site to discuss the fitting of handrails at the steps of Brackenrig Crescent Waterfoot.
These steps are quite steep and lead directly onto Glasgow Road/traffic lights.
We are very glad to announce this morning that ERC have agreed to fit handrails at the top and bottom steps.
22 August 2018Defibrillator (AED) update
We have had a very generous offer by a local resident to fund a new defibrillator in the village. Yesterday a local business agreed ‘in principle’ to site the new unit with 24/7 access - thank you to everyone involved. We are meeting at the end of the week to discuss further details.
17 August 2018East Renfrewshire Local Development Plan 2
Land Development Plan 2 (LDP2) will be implemented in May 2019 in our local area. Please see below the proposed new build development sites in Eaglesham and Waterfoot. There will be further opportunity later this year to submit comments on this issue in the Main Issues Report (MiR). The community council meetings are an excellent opportunity to voice planning concerns/support.
The MIR is the first stage in preparing a new Local Development Plan for the area. This is an important plan that will shape development in the area for years to come. LDP1 was adopted in June 2015 and will eventually be replaced by this new Plan ("LDP2").
All comments received to the MIR will help to inform the next stage in the process, the 'Proposed Plan'. There will be a further opportunity to comment on the Proposed Plan in Winter 2018.
15 June 2018EWCC Meeting with ERC Head of Roads and Transportation
Jane Corrie the ERC Roads and Transportation Controller, has kindly agreed to meet with EWCC on the 19th of June 2018 to discuss local concerns. The community submitted questions on our Facebook site and at our last next meeting on the 12th of June.
Suggested points - there are further submissions that will be added on the day.
1. Car speeds in the village area and whether a 20mph limit is a possibility. I would be keen to have her view on that specific idea
2. Carrot parking and the possibility of a constructed car park
3. Zebra crossings to be upgraded to pedestrian crossings – I’ve personally witnessed too many people driving too fast through the village and not even slowing at the crossings with people standing waiting. Especially outside the Montgomery Hall which is used by a lot of the kids and elderly in the village.
4. Change Eaglesham to a 20mph speed zone. This is Scotland’s first Conservation Village, how do we make it the first all 20mph zone. The layout of the village is not designed for modern day vehicles and agricultural machinery. It would be innovative and leading the way for ERC to change Eaglesham to be the first 20mph enforceable speed zone throughout. All roads are an issue, however Polnoon Street and Montgomery Street need some sort of measures to slow vehicles travelling down the hills.
5. Polnoon estate is Scotland’s first shared space residential housing development and has been winning awards and visited by various architects/planners etc, however the reality of living in Polnoon is that very few, if any, drivers with a British driving licence have ever been tested or taught about shared space and what it means. The theory is great but the speed limit in this estate is 30mph. The layout is aesthetically very pleasing, however I know the residents would prefer there to be more ways of slowing/calming the speed of vehicles in the estate as our kids play, scoot and cycle on the shared space area with cars, vans and lorries going too fast. I would like ERC to work with the developer to make improvements to the site which create naturally ways to force traffic to slow down and take more care, before they adopt the roads from MacMic.
6. Jane is Roads and Transportation Controller…is this an opportunity to raise public transport/transport for those who need help in and around the village for the elderly and less able.
7. Speeding off the Belle Craig Roundabout. More signage required to remind of a 30mph zone in Waterfoot to Busby.
8. New signage put in place next to school pick up/drop off points to highlight dangers of children crossing where there are no school crossing patrols. The most dangerous appears to be at the Waterfoot Barlae/traffic lights area where traffic exits and enters Belle Craig at speed. There is no school crossing patrols in this area at all.
9. There has been quite a bit of chat about belle craig roundabout. What about the posibility of traffic slowing screens put up to slow the approaching orbital traffic?
10. Is there a possibility of converting the short section of road, from Holehouse Road to Alexander Avenue outside the shops, to a one way system - similar to the Broom shops.
11. Zig zags on opposite side of road outside Eaglesham primary. Currently there is a six metre gap for the school crossing patroller while cars manoeuvre in and out of spaces right next to where children are meant to safely cross the road.
17 February 2018New Community Council Members
The Community Council welcome new members to join our team. Please contact us if you are thinking of joining and want to make a positive difference to the community.
07 December 2017Letter from MP to Police Scotland
Please click this link to view letter sent to Police Scotland from Jackson Carlaw MP and Paul Masterson MSP regarding alleged incident in Waterfoot on 4th December 2017.
29 November 2017Gladman's Waterfoot Development Update
1st of February 2018
Gladman planning appeal rejected by the Scottish Govt!
29 November 2017
We have received notice from the head of planning that Gladman Developments has appealed to the Scottish Ministers against the Council not having determined the planning application for residential development (major) (planning permission in principle) at Glasgow Road, Waterfoot (2017/0367/TP). The appeal was received by the Scottish Ministers on 24 November 2017.
The Council’s Planning Service will prepare the Council’s Statement of Case to be submitted to the Scottish Ministers by 15th December 2017. The community council and all those who objected will be advised and their objections will be sent with the councils statement to Scottish Ministers.
Where a valid application has not been determined within the relevant statutory period (or such other period as has been agreed in writing between the local planning authority and the applicant), the applicant has a right to appeal to the Secretary of State against non-determination.
The community Council will provide updates through our various social media platforms as we get them.
All documents regarding this application can be found here.
12 October 2017
Formally accepted submission of Eaglesham and Waterfoot Community Council Planning Consultation Request Form Response - 2017/0367/TP - Gladman's Waterfoot Development. See the EWCC response here.
The Planning Application Documents associated with the above proposed development are available to view on East Renfrewshre Council's website and can be viewed here.
28 November 2017Road Closure between East Kilbride & Eaglesham Update
28 November 2017 Update
Please see the following correspondence from Johan Gillespie of SP Energy Networks -
I have received notification from our contractors advising a second period of road closure is required to complete our works on Eaglesham Road in order to maintain public and working safety. The second closure is due to run from Monday 8th January 2018 for 5 weeks between Peel Road and Ocein Drive roundabouts.
Our contractors worked on the section on Eaglesham Rd (between Greenhills Rd and Peel Rd) under 2 way lights and they felt it was not as safe as it could have been. Their area of work was restricted by the running traffic lane and also the constant flow of traffic / vibration putting their track at risk of collapse – to ensure the safety of the workers, work was completed at a slower pace than previously planned.
The original plan was to keep the road closures to a minimum, but now that the job is up and running they feel this closure is a necessity to keep the workforce and community safe, it will also allow the works to be completed efficiently as possible preventing further disruption.
20 October 2017
SP Energy Networks are upgrading the electricity network in the Jackton and Eaglesham area by installing a new Primary Substation.
The planned work will lead to traffic restrictions as detailed below, although these may be subject to change.
This document details SP Energy Networks plans and contact details.
Planned road closures:
B764 Eaglesham Road closed between Jackton Road and Ocein Drive, Jackton from 8am on Monday 6 November to 11pm on Sunday 10 December for resurfacing work. Alternative routes:
Main alternative route - Redwood Drive, A726 (Glasgow Southern Orbital - GSO), B767 Glasgow Road, Gilmour Street and Cheapside Street
GSO restricted route - Greenhills Road, A726 (Strathaven Road), Glasgow Road, Barn Street, Green Street, Townhead Street, A71, A719, A77 and B764
15 November 2017Waterfoot Open Space Update
15th November 2017 - Mark Brand of ERC has contacted us to advise that some trial pits will be getting excavated over the next week to test the ground conditions. This check is important to ensure that the kickabout area is specified to the correct requirements. At this stage, although there will be some equipment on site, this is just investigation works.
Mark has advised that he will continue to update us on the progress of the site.
17th October 2017 - Mark Brand of East Renfrewshire Council attended the Community Council meeting on 9th October 2017 to discuss the proposed open space development at Waterfoot, which is a legacy of the Cala Homes housing development completed in 2013. The open space will be adopted by the council who have advised that it is easily maintained.
The design is based on community feedback which was attained at three consultation events including one for local youths and is intended to be a space where children can play safely and which residents can enjoy.
The new open space will be created with money from the Waterfoot Community Benefit Fund, and the design brings together different features in an understated way that is sympathetic to the natural setting. These are:
• A small kick about space with an all-weather surface carefully integrated into the wider area
• An exciting play space using natural play features and a dog walking path
• A better access path which will be accessible to wheelchair users and incorporates “Access to Countryside” standards.
• An assessment was conducted regarding the river and natural barriers including 1000 trees will be incorporated into the design to discourage access to the river.
• A community orchard established in the sheltered dip by the river. The intention is to create a space that balances local demand for healthy outdoor play alongside quiet recreation in keeping with the edge of village location.
Mark has advised that the plans are now in motion and he will update on timescales and progress.
11 November 2017New EWCC Suggestion Box in Library and Eaglesham GP Surgery
The Community Council now have a suggestion box in Eaglesham Library and Eaglesham GP surgery. Please feel free to use these boxes to give any suggestions for issues you would like us to look at or for feedback. Please also pass this on to any members of the community who are not online or on facebook.
Remember you can also give feedback and suggestions through our Facebook page and through this website on our Contact Us page. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, you can come along to one of our monthly meetings, details of which can be found here.
03 November 2017EWCC Update
The Community Council have been very busy since our last meeting and on behalf of our community we have engaged in the following: