Access to our countryside – HAVE YOUR SAY!
Argyll and Bute Council have now published the draft core path plan and it is now the time for the public to comment on it. You have until 1st June 2009!
You can get a copy of the plan with all the routes in our area by phoning 01546 604119 or by visiting www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/corepaths.
- The paths are numbered and here is a copy of the comments form with the paths and launching points in our area listed for you.
- Please complete a comments form and return it.
- The freepost address is on it.
- This might seem a bit tedious, but it will ultimately be very rewarding.
Here is the map for our area : http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/pdffilesstore/cppobanlornwest - take a look,
- do you agree about the paths they have shown?
- have they identified paths that you feel are unsuitable?
- can you identify other options?
- are there better routes?
There are lots of notes about filling the form in on the ABC website
Scotland has probably the finest statutory framework of any country in the world for protecting the rights of the public to gain access to the land. By contrast, the number of paths which help to facilitate access in Scotland is poor. We need a major investment programme to bring Scotland up to European standards. This first core path plan is only the beginning.
What will it mean for us in Ardchattan Parish if these paths are adopted?
- There will be a system of protected paths in our area, shown on Ordnance Survey maps.
- They will be signposted, with information such as mileage and what users the path will suit.
- Online you will be able to get further information on each path such as gradients, steps, barriers such as stiles, etc..
- The Council can access money to improve the paths (e.g. better drainage), allowing greater access.
- The most popular paths will attract the most investment.
- The network can be added to or altered over time, once the pattern of use has been assessed.
In our area these paths pass through some fantastic and unique scenery. It will be an asset for locals, but will also surely attract more visitors to our area, and give them more to do when they are here, thereby helping the local economy.
To ensure that the core paths in our area are adopted in the final plan, we need to support the draft plan.
Please take time let your views be known.
To ask for help, advice, or simply express your opinion, please use the Community Forum.