Roads and Transport
Use the Highland Council online form to report potholes, damage to road markings / drainage / bus shelters and more...
The online form link is at the bottom of www.highland.gov.uk/yourenvironment/roadsandtransport – users are asked firstly if it is an emergency (telephone number supplied), then to make sure that the fault is not on a truck road (Transport Scotland telephone number supplied) and other basic questions. This helps the council TECs roads department put the problem to the correct work group, also supporting photo evidence can be uploaded to the form. When the form is submitted a major benefit is the person is given an electronic reference number and this is the start of an audit trail to the call.
UPDATE - There is now a new, easy way to report issues in your local area using FixMyStreet It is exceptionally easy to use and you can view all recently reported problems at a glance.
The Highland Council, as Roads Authority, has responsibility for the management and maintenance of the longest non-trunk road network in Scotland. The Council does not have responsibility to maintain private roads, bridges or footways.
All Trunk Roads within Highland are the responsibility of Transport Scotland. Transport Scotland has contracted out the management and maintenance of Trunk Roads to BEAR Scotland.
Council road assets are maintained by Transport, Environmental & Community Services (TEC Services).
The principal operations associated with maintaining roads are:
- Surface dressing
- Street Cleaning/ Sweeping
- Verge Maintenance
- Winter Maintenance
- Reactive Repairs
- Bridge Maintenance
- Street Lighting
- Strengthening Works
- Capital Investment
- Emergency Response
- Gully Cleaning
Examples of fault reporting or enquires relating to roads are:
- Pothole / road defects
- Footway defects
- Fallen trees / overhanging branches
- Winter Maintenance enquiries
- Faulty Street Lighting; Traffic Lights and or Pedestrian Crossings.
Report Road Maintenance Fault
For emergency faults please phone 01349 886601.
Examples of emergency faults:
- Bridge collapse
- Fallen power / telephone lines
- Tree / branches down
- Rock fall / landslips
- Fuel spillage - major routes and high traffic urban areas
- Flooding - where there is a risk to property
- Flooding - high speed road or locations where there are safety issues
- Debris on road (e.g. rock or other significant hazard)
- Gully/ manhole cover missing or damaged
Please confirm that the fault being reported is NOT on any of the following trunk roads before using our online form:
- A9 Drumochter to Scrabster
- A99 Latheron to Wick
- A82 Blackmount Glencoe to Inverness (including Glenurquhart Road, Kenneth Street, Friars Bridge and Longman Road in Inverness)
- A86 Kingussie to Spean Bridge
- A87 Invergarry to Uig
- A828 Ballachulish to Duror
- A830 Fort William to Mallaig
- A835 Tore Roundabout to Ullapool
- A887 Invermoriston to Bunloyne Junction
- A889 Dalwhinnie to Laggan
- A95 Kinveachy to Advie
- A96 Raigmore Interchange to Moray Council Boundary
For these, contact Transport Scotland directly: 0800 028 1414.