Get your free website from Spanglefish




AT 7.00PM




Members of the public are very welcome to attend Community Council meetings and take part in the discussions under the guidance of the Chairman


1. Introductions and Apologies


2. Declarations of interest


3. Chairman’s comments


4. Approval of the minutes of the last ordinary meeting held on Tuesday 6 February 2018


5. Matters arising from the minutes


6. Treasurer’s report


7. Correspondences


8. AOB from Community Council members


9. AOB from members of the public


10. Screening reports, scoping reports and consultations


11. Building warrants, planning issues and licensing issues


12. Dates of future meetings

(Ordinary meetings are usually held on the first Tuesday of the month unless stated otherwise)

Tuesday 3 April 2018, 7.00pm, Garve Village Hall

Tuesday 1 May 2018, 7.00pm, Achnasheen Village Hall

Tuesday 5 June 2018, AGM followed by an ordinary meeting, 7.00pm, Garve Village Hall.  Old minute books will be available to view.



DRAFT Minutes of the Garve & District Community Council ordinary meeting

held on Tuesday 6 February 2018 in Garve Village Hall

Community Council members present: Kenny Maclean (Chairman), Jennifer Haslam (Secretary), Bob Moir, Caroline Gamble and co-opted member Moragh Wylie. 

Also present: Grant Folley (EDF), Val MacIver (Platform PR), Laura Hamlet (Wester Ross Biosphere 7.20pm until 8.00pm), Ed Tarr, Chairman, TG&DDC and three members of the public.

Apologies: Eliza Leslie Melville (Treasurer), Cllr Dr Ian Cockburn, co-opted member Joe Stewart and PC Craig Rose.  Apologies were also given on behalf of Graham West & Laura Noone (EDF) by Val MacIver.

The Chairman opened the meeting at 7.00pm and welcomed everyone.  He reminded members of the public that they were very welcome to attend Community Council meetings and take part in the discussions under his guidance.

Declarations of Interest – None.  Community Council members confirmed that they had read all draft minutes, consultations and the planning application due to be discussed before the start of this meeting.

Chairman’s comments - All G&DCC agendas, draft minutes, dates of future meetings and fliers are available on the Community Council website www.community-council.org.uk/GarveandDistrict or by contacting the Secretary on garveanddistrictcc@yahoo.com or at Broadoaks, Grudie Bridge, IV23 2QB.  They are also available on the Achnasheen Village notice board or via the Community Council emailing list.  Just contact us with your email address and we will add you to our emailing list.  Your email address will not be passed onto third parties.  Only Community Council documents can be sent via our email list.  We have 184 contacts on the emailing list plus all eighteen other active Community Councils in the Ward.  Additional copies of the draft minutes are available in Garve Post Office and at these meetings so members of the community can take them away with them.  The Community Council website receives around 150 hits per month and is updated every ten days or so. 

Approval of minutes of the last ordinary meeting held on Tuesday 9 January 2018 in Garve Village Hall were proposed by Caroline Gamble and seconded by Moragh Wylie.

Matters arising – Ed Tarr, Chairman, TG&DDC gave the following update to members …” We have been busy with establishing the infra-structure and soliciting for more applicants for the board of directors.  We received applications from three people for the board.  An EGM is to be held tomorrow Wednesday 7 February to vote on the election of directors.  Will all members of TG&DDC please come and exercise your voting rights. Operating with board at quorum number (four) is precarious!  The two main things we have been arranging are: -

Advertising for a Development Officer.  Funding for this was approved by LCT.  A Development Officer was one of things that the Community Needs Survey wanted.  The matter of a DO was also one of the things that EDF (The Corriemoillie wind fund) and Foundation Scotland (looking at the joint administration of the two funds) wanted to introduce as an independent professional into the Community to access its funds, and maximise the organisation and funding for Community projects and helping members of the Community to get projects up and running with less organising burdens. 

A Community interactive website that would allow all members of the Community to bring up matters for discussion on an interactive basis.  We are thinking of giving help with getting access to the Internet if required.  Funding for this has been approved by LCT.  The website will be a notice board and have links to useful things.

The rest of the trials and tribulations of set-up have largely been overcome with the help of various helpful organisations and from the experience of other up and running communities who have already been through it all.  Not to mention a massive amount of work by our Secretary.”

In answering questions from the Community Council members, Ed confirmed that to date, no applications had been received for the Development Officer vacancy but there had been some applications received for the Company Secretary vacancy.  The vacancies are advertised online through Ross-Shire Voluntary Action and DTAS networks.  It is envisaged that the roles will be filled by two separate people.  The Board will view the applications, then two Member Directors will carry out the interviews.  Membership has risen to 54.  It is hoped at least ten members will attend tomorrow night’s EGM so that the meeting can proceed.  Ed Tarr was thanked for attending and for the updates.

EDF – Grant Folley and Val MacIver explained to the meeting that Andy Russell was no longer working on the Corriemoillie project.  Community Council members wish to send their thanks to Andy for all his help and hard work over the years.  The site is running well although estimated generation is less than expected.  This is common across the UK at the moment.  Access to the site has been difficult at times due to the snow and ice.  Fencing to restart hopefully next month, around half the fences have been erected.  Forestry planting should begin in April.  There is to be an on-site meeting on Thursday, some small plant machinery will be delivered to the site shortly.  With regard to the main community benefit fund, Grant was sorry that this matter has taken so long to resolve.  Originally, it was thought the original agreement between LZN, The Highland Council, Eneco and the Estate could have been amended but after six months and conflicting legal advice, EDF are no longer pursuing this.  Instead, the EDF board has agreed to draw up a stand-alone agreement between EDF and LCT.  There will be two clauses which help to keep EDF informed if any changes occur to the other agreements.  Grant hopes to meet with Carol Smith, LCT Secretary on Thursday to discuss this in more detail.  Grant hopes that the EDF community benefit money will be able to be paid to the LCT in April.  Eneco and EDF money could be put together to help finance a project.  EDF are happy to meet legal costs, administration costs to be considered.  It was suggested that all this should perhaps go before LCT members for consultation before the LCT board make a final decision on the matter.  A member of the public felt that although there is nothing in writing at the moment, they felt the proposed way forward sounded a very effective way of dealing with the situation.  Val added that good publicity of what the funds are achieving is key, people need to know.  Grant Folley and Val MacIver were thanked for their updates.

Iain Catto has written to say ten applications were received during the last round of funding from the EDF Education & Training fund (6 Lochbroom area, 1 Garve & District area, 2 Contin area and 1 Marybank area).  The applicant from our area wished to study a Pitman Training course in Medical Terminology, Medical Word Processing and Medical Audio Transcript.  Grant purpose – to pay for the course fees.  Decision by panel – award of £918.00.  Further details are available at www.foundationscotland.org.uk/programmes/corriemoille-education-and-training/ where deadlines for applications are listed.  It was confirmed that the applicants ranged in age and were seeking training and in some cases re-training.  This was the hope for this fund when it was first suggested.  More applications the merrier!

Wester Ross Biosphere – www.westerrossbiosphere.com - Laura Hamlet, Project Officer, Sustainable Heritage Areas: Partnerships for Ecotourism (SHAPE) at Wester Ross Biosphere attended the meeting from 7.20pm to update the Community Council members on their latest activities, particularly the Ecotourism project called SHAPE  The acronym stands for Sustainable Heritage Areas: Partnerships for Ecotourism, it’s an international collaboration between Wester Ross Biosphere and Biospheres/Regional parks in Greenland, Iceland, Norway and Finland.  Essentially, it’s a tool to think about sustainable tourism in Wester Ross.  A meeting has already taken place with Visit Wester Ross, Visit Scotland, SNH, Development Officers and local tourism groups.  It is hoped a map showing all the tourism infrastructure will be in place by the end of March.  Things like accommodation, playparks, waterfalls, viewpoints, prominent peaks, core paths etc …  There will then follow two years of development.  Laura would like to work more closely with The Highland Council and Forestry Commission Scotland.  It was agreed that Laura would send a map of the Community Council area showing the sorts of things that they would like to include.  Members of the community are encouraged to view the maps on our website and make suggestions directly to Laura at shape@westerrossbiosphere.com   Laura would also like to hear from other Community Councils/groups.  Community Council members will view the maps themselves at the next ordinary meeting.  Laura was thanked for attending and left at 8.00pm.

Highland Council updates – Highland housing tenant’s rents are to increase by 0.5% for the coming financial year 2018/19.  Members of the Highland Council’s People Committee have approved the increase which would result in an increase in the average weekly council house rent from £72.88 to £73.24.

At a meeting of The Highland Council’s Environment, Development and Infrastructure Committee held last Thursday, discussion regarding gritting over the last few months took place.  The Committee agreed a review of the current winter maintenance policy was required.  Until the review is complete, the current policy will remain in place.

The Highland Council also requests that items placed in your blue bins be clean.  If you can, rinse them in your soapy water − after you’ve washed the dishes.  Spoiled items cost councils more to dispose of, as they may have to be sent to landfill. 

Our Chairman found items dumped at the Achnasheen recycle bins recently.  The Highland Council and Police have been informed.  The items were removed within a few days, our thanks to Katrina and her team. 

Moragh Wylie informed the meeting about a dumped fridge below the layby near Loch Chullin.  Photos have been taken and have been passed onto The Highland Council.

The speed limit sign has been fixed near Strathgarve Primary School.  Low energy streetlights were fitted in Stirling Drive and Matheson Road, Garve and Achnasheen Village some time ago.  This is Highland Council policy.  The fence at the Football pitch in Matheson Road has finally been repaired.  There are some resurfacing works taking place in Strathgarve.  Some offlets and drains have been cleaned out.  The eleven fencing sections that have been laying in the Gorstan layby for some time are to be removed by the Highland Council in due course if not claimed soon.

We have received reports of damaged drain covers and broken road surface in Stirling Drive, Garve.  This has been reported (FS66213050 reported 19 January 2018).  The individual has been advised to report directly to The Highland Council.  The more people that report problems directly, the better.

Our Chairman noticed the road surface about two miles south of Achnasheen on the A890 has started breaking up leaving long ruts.  This has been reported (FS66216276 reported 19 January 2018).  There are several deep potholes between Achnasheen and Gorstan on the A832, especially at the Lochluichart bends.  All problem sections have been reported.  (FS66757367 near Strathmore House, FS66757623 near Foresthill, FS66757788 Lochluichart bends and FS66758002 near Dos Mucheran all reported 27 January 2017).  It was noted that several other potholes have been patched in recent weeks.  The Secretary noted that resurfacing work on the U3132 Station Road, Lochluichart started around 24 January 2018 and appears to be near completion.  The Secretary noted tar was put in a layby, but not the Church layby as requested!

Our Chairman noted that the electric vehicle charging point is due to be installed in Achnasheen before Sunday 18 February 2018 … he wonders if The Highland Council will achieve this?  Our Chairman has asked for an update on this.  Our thanks to all at the roads department for what has been done recently. 

The Highland Council notes that residents should report issues directly to them by calling the Highland Council’s Call Centre on 01349 886606, by visiting Ross House, Dingwall or via www.highland.gov.uk/report  In all cases, you will be given a reference number.  The Highland Council also appreciate photos showing the actual problem.  Highland Council roads are gritted as specified within the Highland Council’s agreed winter maintenance policy – details of this are on the Highland Council’s website at www.highland.gov.uk/gritting where area gritting maps can also be found.  Roadside cameras at Achnasheen and Aultguish can be viewed at www.travelhighland.info/public/map 

A832 Grudie – Achnasheen verge reinstatement works – we are advised that the contractor and the Highland Council are waiting for the weather to improve before carrying out the remaining work.

BEAR update – the pothole in the truck road opposite Garve Hotel was reported on 27 January 2018 with a repair completed within a few days.  French drains east of Garve were recently cleaned out.

2018 Joint Community Council meeting – discussions with other Community Councils are ongoing.

Scottish Fire & Rescue Service - In October 2017, the service launched the Community Asset Register (CAR).  Essentially this is a register of volunteers who have a particular asset or skill which they feel could be used to support emergency services and responders at an incident.  Examples include someone with a boat who could be called in times of flooding to assist evacuate people from houses to a place of safety. Unfortunately, it is impossible to gauge how often a volunteer will be requested.    Mobilisations can be determined by severe weather, a specific type of asset/skill required for the incident, the emergency services availability and resources in the area and the location of the volunteer.  It must be stressed that even when someone has registered, they are under no obligation to mobilise when they are called by the Operations Control Centre.  For anyone to register an interest and request a form they would be required to email SFRS.CommunityAssetRegister@firescotland.gov.uk and a registration form will be sent to be completed along with guidelines on how to complete the registration process.  It was also noted that as discussed at previous Community Council meetings, individuals can have their property checked by the SF&RS.  More details are available at www.firescotland.gov.uk/your-safety/for-householders/home-fire-safety-visit.aspx or by calling 08000 731 999.  There are currently several vacancies for retained firefighters in Kinlochewe, Torridon, Lochcarron, Ullapool and Dingwall.  More details at https://www.myjobscotland.gov.uk/emergency-services/scottish-fire-and-rescue-service/jobs?cat=2088&sub_cat=2424 

2018 Community Ceilidh – Garve Village Hall has been provisionally booked for Saturday 25 August 2018.  The Captain Stupendous Ceilidh Band have pencilled the date in their diary.  We have received a quote for catering.  A draft application to LCT has been viewed by members.  Members were content with its content.  Jennifer Haslam proposed that the overall capacity remains at 70 to allow for band members and Community Council members due to the space required for catering and dancing!  Kenny Maclean seconded, all agreed.

Police report – PC Craig Rose reports that since the beginning of this year, one person has been charged with speeding at Achanalt.  Press reports inform us that Police Scotland are reminding communities to be on guard against scammers.  Frauds can be committed by letter, texts and calls, but as more people shop, bank and do business online, criminals are now looking for more online opportunities to scam and gain access to people’s accounts, direct people to fake websites or have money sent to fraudulent accounts.  Any problems or concerns call 101.

Further press reports tell us that road policing officers in the Highlands and Islands are again warning people not to drink/drug drive after a significant number of motorists were caught over the limit in January.  A high-profile campaign was held targeting drink and drug drivers during the festive season - and officers have continued to stop drivers suspected to be over the limit throughout January.  Anyone with concerns about a suspected drink or drug driver is urged to call 101.Anyone with concerns about a suspected drink or drug driver is urged to contact 101 or 999 if it is an emergency.Anyone with concerns about a suspected drink or drug driver is urged to contact 101 or 999 if it is an emergency.Anyone with concerns about a suspected drink or drug driver is urged to contact 101 or 999 if it is an emergency.

Treasurers report - in the absence of the Treasurer, the Chairman with help from the Secretary declared the following figures...  Treasurers account was £354.48 minus £12.00 hall hire for January meeting and minus £38.50 ink = £303.98.  Our insurance premium of £86.00 will be deducted from our next grant.  Community Fund (reserve) £538.64.  Newsletter (fliers) £698.54.  A full report will be available on the Treasurer’s return.  Audited accounts for the last financial period (1 April 2016 to 31 March 2017) are available on the Community Council website, at Garve Post Office and at these meetings.

Correspondences - by Email - ePlanning – new planning applications at 22 December 2017 & at 5 January 2018; Uisdean Menzies, Out of the Blue Catering – Ceilidh catering quote; The Highland Council – Inverness East Development Brief & Developer Contributions Supplementary Guidance consultations; Natasha Hutchison, Wester Ross Biosphere – project funding update; Two emails from Zurich Insurance – policy renewal; The Scottish Government – Electoral reform consultation (received via HC policy); ePlanning – new planning applications at 12 January 2018; Iain Catto, Community Engagement Executive, Foundation Scotland – EDF Education & Training fund update; Uisdean Menzies – potholes in Stirling Drive, Garve; Police Scotland – online safety leaflet (received via HC policy); ePlanning – new planning applications at 19 January 2018; Scottish Fire & Rescue Service – Community Asset Register (received via HC policy); Ian Sargent, Reserves Manager, Scottish Natural Heritage - Ben Wyvis National Nature Reserve Management Consultation; Laura Hamlet, Project Officer, Sustainable Heritage Areas: Partnerships for Ecotourism (SHAPE) – Wester Ross Biosphere update; ePlanning – new planning applications at 26 January 2018; Keith Boa, SSE – verge reinstatement works update; PC Craig Rose – Police Report; ePlanning – new planning applications at 2 February 2018; Ed Tarr, Chairman, TG&DDC – update.

Correspondences received by post – none.

We have also received draft minutes from Coigach, Lochbroom, Contin, Lochalsh and Plockton Community Councils and approved minutes from Aultbea Community Council.

AOB from Community Council members – Caroline Gamble noted that some trees in The Avenue, Garve were looking rotten and the worse for wear.  Nick Richards, The Highland Council’s Forestry Officer was asked to look at this area some time ago.  He will be asked to look at the trees again and let us know his findings.  Also, who owns The Avenue?  The Chairman and Secretary recall this question being asked before and will check back through the files.

AOB from members of the public – no issues raised by those present.

Screening reports, scoping reports and consultations – We have received four consultations.  The first is from The Highland Council.  Draft Developer Contributions Supplementary Guidance – this document sets out The Highland Council’s proposed approach to managing the impact of development on services and infrastructure across the Highlands.  It is suggested in the draft guidance that developer contribution costs are budgeted for when buying land for development and working out project costs.  You can find view and comment on the guidance online at consult.highland.gov.uk/portal/dcsg  Once adopted, this new document will replace the existing guidance which was adopted in March 2013.   The deadline for comments is Friday 9 March 2018.  Community Council members had no comments.

The second consultation from The Highland Council is the Draft Inverness East Development Brief - This document guides the urban expansion of the city and looks to ensure that this growth takes place in a sustainable way and delivers great places to live, work and visit.  View and comment on the draft guidance online at consult.highland.gov.uk/portal/iedb  The deadline for comments is Friday 9 March 2018.  Community Council members had no comments.

The third consultation is from the Scottish Government.  They are committed to increasing participation in elections both in terms of voter turnout and encouraging citizens to stand for election.  They are keen to receive views on a number of issues related to Local Government and Scottish Parliament elections, including: how often these elections should be held; who runs these and how they are run; who can register and vote; and who may stand for election.  The 34-page consultation paper and online response form can be accessed using the following link: https://consult.gov.scot/elections/electoral-reform  The deadline for comments is Monday 12 March 2018.  Community Council members had no comments. 

The fourth consultation is from Scottish Natural Heritage.  The Ben Wyvis National Nature Reserve (NNR) is an upland nature reserve owned and managed by Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH).  SNH have drafted a management plan for the next ten-year period from 2018 to 2028.  It contains information on the main objectives and tasks for managing the reserve.  The draft management plan and further information on the reserve can be viewed at http://www.nnr-scotland.org.uk/ben-wyvis/management/management-planning 

Responses should be made via NNR@snh.gov.uk before Monday 12 March 2018.  An open event was held yesterday in Garve Village Hall.  Community Council members had no comments.

Building warrants, planning issues and licensing issues - The Community Council has been made aware of one new planning application - 18/00337/FUL is the proposed erection of totem pole advertisement, replacement canopy, installation of two fuel tanks, floodlights, upgrading of forecourt, fuel pumps and access and siting of control unit building at Achnasheen Filling Station.  The deadline for comments from the public to the case officer is Friday 16 February 2018.  Community Council members had no comments.

Dates of future meetings

(Ordinary meetings are usually held on the first Tuesday of the month unless stated otherwise)

Tuesday 6 March 2018, 7.00pm, Garve Village Hall – apologies from Bob Moir noted

Tuesday 3 April 2018, 7.00pm, Garve Village Hall – apologies from Bob Moir noted

Tuesday 1 May 2018, 7.00pm, Achnasheen Village Hall

Tuesday 5 June 2018, AGM followed by an ordinary meeting, 7.00pm, Garve Village Hall.  Old minute books will be available to view.

Tuesday 3 July 2018, 7.00pm, Achnasheen Village Hall

Tuesday 7 August 2018, 7.00pm, Garve Village Hall

Tuesday 4 September 2018, 7.00pm, Achnasheen Village Hall

Tuesday 2 October 2018, 7.00pm, Garve Village Hall

Tuesday 6 November 2018, 7.00pm, Garve Village Hall

Tuesday 4 December 2018, 7.00pm, Garve Village Hall.  Old minute books will be available to view.

Members of the public are very welcome to attend Community Council meetings and take part in the discussions under the guidance of the Chairman.  A copy of the Constitution that every Community Council in the Highlands has to work to is available on the Highland Council website.

The Chairman thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting at 8.45pm.


Since our last ordinary meeting ...


Fiona Milligan at Infinergy has informed us that the Proposal of Application Notice for the Lochluichart Extension II windfarm was submitted on Tuesday 13 February 2018 (18/00682/PAN).  The proposal comprises of a development of nine turbines with a minimum generating capacity of 3MW along with associated infrastructure works.  Infinergy are proposing their next open day on Tuesday 3 April 2018 (TBC) in Garve Village Hall from 2.00pm until 7.00pm to coincide with our meeting later that evening. 

The Avenue, Garve – Correspondence received by the Community Council from The Highland Council in 2013 indicate that the Avenue is owned by The Highland Council.  We have asked Nick Richards, The Highland Council’s Forestry Officer for an update of the trees condition.  It is noted that our minutes from Tuesday 5 March 2013 state that “There are no tree preservation orders on these trees”.

We note the C1087 Bealach Na Ba Road (Temporary Closure) Order 2018.  The road will be closed weekdays from Monday 9 April 2018 from 0900 hours until 1600 hours and from 1730 hours until 2300 hours until Friday 18 May 2018.  This is to allow the safe installation of approximately 16.5 Kilometres of telecommunication ducting and associated inspection/maintenance boxes/chambers.  The works will include foundations beneath and structures within the public road and adjacent land.  Where required inspection lay-bys for safe parking of maintenance vehicles will be constructed.

BEAR update – BEAR Scotland are responsible for the A835 trunk road between Tore and Ullapool.  We have received notice that the severe freeze/thaw cycle and regular precipitation has seen the surfacing at a number of locations deteriorate rapidly to a condition which now requires urgent attention.  The majority of work will be carried out during the day under convoy working, however due to restricted roadworks at certain locations some work will require periods of STOP/STOP working.  While every effort will be made to minimise interruption to the free flow of traffic, motorists should expect some delays when they encounter these resurfacing sites.  Work will take place “South of Garve”, Inchbae and at Loch Glascarnoch in March 2018.  The work is estimated to be costing £500,000.  Further information is available at http://bearscot.com/News/7544/Urgent+repair+programme+/ 



This website was last updated at 6.00pm on Tuesday 13 February 2018.

Click for Map SSPC - Property in Scotland