15 November 2017
Waterfoot Open Space Update
15th November 2017 - Mark Brand of ERC has contacted us to advise that some trial pits will be getting excavated over the next week to test the ground conditions. This check is important to ensure that the kickabout area is specified to the correct requirements. At this stage, although there will be some equipment on site, this is just investigation works.
Mark has advised that he will continue to update us on the progress of the site.
17th October 2017 - Mark Brand of East Renfrewshire Council attended the Community Council meeting on 9th October 2017 to discuss the proposed open space development at Waterfoot, which is a legacy of the Cala Homes housing development completed in 2013. The open space will be adopted by the council who have advised that it is easily maintained.
The design is based on community feedback which was attained at three consultation events including one for local youths and is intended to be a space where children can play safely and which residents can enjoy.
The new open space will be created with money from the Waterfoot Community Benefit Fund, and the design brings together different features in an understated way that is sympathetic to the natural setting. These are:
• A small kick about space with an all-weather surface carefully integrated into the wider area
• An exciting play space using natural play features and a dog walking path
• A better access path which will be accessible to wheelchair users and incorporates “Access to Countryside” standards.
• An assessment was conducted regarding the river and natural barriers including 1000 trees will be incorporated into the design to discourage access to the river.
• A community orchard established in the sheltered dip by the river. The intention is to create a space that balances local demand for healthy outdoor play alongside quiet recreation in keeping with the edge of village location.
Mark has advised that the plans are now in motion and he will update on timescales and progress.